Alan E. McKenna
Alan McKenna represents businesses and individuals in litigation, corporate, real estate, and other matters. Alan has litigated and tried cases in state and federal courts, as well as before federal and state administrative bodies. He has handled complex litigation from pre-suit investigation through trial and appeal.
In addition to his litigation and trial experience, Alan has handled numerous corporate transactions and real estate matters, including the handling of corporate governance matters, the negotiation and drafting of multi-million dollar mergers and acquisitions, and representation of business and individuals in myriad commercial and residential real estate transactions.
Prior to forming Stevenson McKenna & Callanan (and its predecessor Stevenson McKenna LLP), Alan worked for Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P. and Nixon Peabody LLP, both national law firms with offices in Boston.
Representative Litigation Matters
- Trial counsel in partnership dispute involving successful medical practice in Massachusetts Superior Court;
- Trial counsel in products liability matter in federal court;
- Trial counsel in patent infringement matter in federal court;
- Trial counsel in patent infringement matter before the International Trade Commission in Washington, D.C.;
- Trial counsel in appeal of property tax assessment before Massachusetts’ Appellate Tax Board;
- Representation of foreign entities in software development breach of contract disputes with U.S. entities;
- Representation of individuals and corporate clients in various business litigation matters, including contract disputes, business torts, shareholder disputes, intellectual property, securities, employment, products liability, zoning matters, and general business disputes;
- Representation of individual in successful settlement of suitability claims against broker dealer and registered investment advisor;
- Representation of patentees and accused infringers in various patent infringement matters across the United States, including the handling of international discovery;
- Representation of executives in employment-related dispute with investment firm;
- Member of team handling defense of dozens of toxic tort matters;
- Member of team handling defense of manufacturer in hundreds of medical device liability cases throughout the United States;
- Representation of plaintiffs and defendants in personal injury matters; and
- Supervisory trial counsel to younger attorneys in pro bono publico bench and jury trials.
- Counsel start-up companies and established corporate clients in general business matters, including entity formation, governance, expansion, employment, and financial matters;
- Representation of both landlords and tenants in numerous commercial lease transactions throughout the United States across many industries;
- Representation of buyer in acquisition of interest in ice hockey rink and teams;
- Representation of seller in disposition of pharmacy business and associated real estate;
- Representation of buyer in acquisition of dairy distribution business;
- Representation of seller in disposition of garden center business;
- Representation of buyer in acquisition of energy products corporation;
- Representation of buyer in acquisition of assets of manufacturing company;
- Representation of seller in connection with stock sale in closely-held corporation;
- Representation of borrower in commercial loan transaction involving secured and unsecured debt;
- Representation of both purchasers and sellers in numerous commercial real estate transactions throughout the United States; and
- Representation of individuals in residential real estate transactions.
Publications & Presentations
- When a Duck is Not Just a Duck Intellectual Property Today (January 2009)
- Hot New IP Cases: An End of Summer Review ABA-IP Roundtable, Boston, Massachusetts (October 29, 2008)
- Taking Depositions Workshop (Faculty Member) Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (October 2007-Present)
Personal and Community Involvement
Raised in Hingham, Alan lives there now with his wife and three children.
Alan is actively involved in the community. He currently serves as President of the Hingham Education Foundation, a member of the LINKS Committee at South Shore Hospital, and a coach for Boston Advantage Hockey. He is a past Vice Chairman of the Hingham Conservation Commission.