Benjamin D. Stevenson
Ben is an experienced trial attorney whose practice focuses on partnership disputes and fiduciary litigation. Many of his cases in this area involve claims between members of professional partnerships, ownership and control disputes between officers or shareholders of closely held companies, joint venture partnership disputes between individuals or companies, joint venture real estate development projects, trustee litigation, and will contests or other disputes involving probate and estate planning. With over 15 years of civil litigation experience, Ben has litigated and tried numerous cases in state and federal courts and through appeal, as well as in arbitration proceedings.
Apart from his partnership and fiduciary litigation practice, Ben also handles financial services litigation, employment matters, personal injury cases, and zoning disputes. He regularly practices in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts, and represents clients in particular matters in other states as necessary.
In co-founding Stevenson McKenna & Callanan LLP, Ben wanted to create a strong partnership of highly experienced attorneys who are directly accountable and entirely results focused. Similarly, his litigation clients typically are successful businesses, executives, entrepreneurs, and individuals who are focused on bottom line results and expect strategic and practical solutions to their litigation needs. Ben represents his clients both as plaintiffs and as defendants, and many of his cases involve complex litigation in which his client is both asserting and defending legal claims.
Ben first established his own trial law firm in 2006. Prior to that, he was a trial lawyer in the Boston office of Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P., a national litigation firm based in Minneapolis, and at Looney & Grossman LLP, a prominent local firm with a long history in Boston.
Some of Ben’s past and present engagements include:
- Lead counsel in fiduciary joint venture partnership dispute involving multi-million dollar redevelopment of former GM/Delphi industrial site.
- Lead counsel in will contest involving alleged breaches of fiduciary duties in connection with eight-figure estate.
- Co-lead counsel on large software development breach of contract dispute between foreign client and domestic publicly traded financial institution.
- Lead counsel in representation of senior officer of successful closely held company, in connection with breach of fiduciary duty claims against other corporate officers and shareholders.
- Lead counsel in representation of home security company in connection with dispute arising out of multi-company lead generation agreement and ownership of multi-million dollar Internet advertising campaign.
- Co-counsel in fiduciary partnership dispute involving local successful medical practice.
- Co-counsel in representation of public utility in connection with property damage lawsuit exceeding $20 million.
- Co-counsel in representation of insurance carrier in connection with property damage subrogation lawsuit exceeding $5 million, arising out of airplane crash and resulting loss of international shipment of pharmaceutical drugs.
- Lead counsel in representation of construction company in mediation and arbitration proceedings arising out of alleged breach of sub-contract agreement, pertaining to construction of bascule bridge for automobile traffic on Long Island.
- Member of trial team representing insurance carrier in connection with $2.8 million subrogated legal malpractice claim.
- Member of trial team involved in successful defense of senior officer of major insurance company in a $42 million securities arbitration proceeding brought by two former broker-dealers; plaintiffs’ claims denied in entirety following four week arbitration.
- Representation of registered investment advisors (RIA) in variety of fiduciary and general litigation matters, including enforcement and analysis of cross referral agreements, sub-advisory agreements, and customer claims.
- Representation of investor in successful settlement of fiduciary claims against broker dealer and registered investment advisors.
- Member of litigation team involved in representation of patent holder in infringement action against major computer manufacturers; litigation team recovered in excess of $400 million in damages.
- Lead counsel in successful six-figure settlement of sexual harassment claims brought by female store manager against male supervisor and publicly traded company.
- Co-counsel in successful settlement of discrimination claims brought by minority employee of Fortune 500 company.
- Lead counsel in successful six-figure settlement of will contest brought by disinherited beneficiaries of decedent against fiduciaries.
- Representation of plaintiff in successful six-figure settlement of claims arising out of serious injuries in motor vehicle accident.
- Co-counsel in successful six-figure settlement of wrongful death action brought against special needs facility.
- Representation of client in connection with appeal of local zoning decisions pertaining to development of property.
- Faculty Member, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) Taking Depositions Workshop (2007 – present).
- Panelist for seminar presented to local in-house counsel, “In-House Counsel: Preparing for the Unexpected,” co-sponsored by New England In-House, a Lawyers Weekly Publication (2012).
- Guest lecturer, New England Law/Boston, White-Collar Crime (2011).
- Guest lecturer, New England Law/Boston, Securities Regulation (2011 – present).
Ben lives with his wife and family in Sudbury, Massachusetts, where he is Chair of the Zoning Board of Appeals.