Christopher A. Callanan
Christopher A. Callanan is an experienced trial attorney who represents businesses and individuals in a variety of commercial disputes and personal injury claims. Mr. Callanan’s commercial litigation practice focuses on employment law matters including claims of breach of contract, employee non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, wage and hour disputes, employee/independent contractor classification, employment discrimination, wrongful termination, unfair and deceptive business practices, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and defamation. Mr. Callanan has litigated and tried a wide variety of personal injury actions involving catastrophic injuries, brain injuries and wrongful death arising out of motor vehicle accidents, workplace accidents, industrial accidents, product liability claims and premise liability claims. He also has expertise in Sports Law, having represented professional and Olympic athletes and sports agents.
Prior to forming Stevenson McKenna & Callanan, Chris Callanan was a shareholder at Campbell Campbell Edwards & Conroy, a nationally recognized trial law firm in Boston defending product manufacturers, major hotel chains and major retailers against a variety of product liability, general liability and commercial lawsuits.
- Successful resolution of wrongful death claim brought against a commercial truck driver employed by a Fortune 500 beverage company.
- Successful resolution of a traumatic brain injury claim brought against a Fortune 500 hospitality company and its employee.
- Successful arbitration victory for Chairman and CEO of Fortune 500 lighting company against claims by a former employee alleging breach of employment contract, breach of stock option agreement, and violations of the Wage Act.
- Defended top PGA Tour golfer sued by major golf equipment manufacturers alleging breach of contract, breach of good faith and fair dealing and violations of Chapter 93A arising out of an endorsement agreement dispute.
- Successfully defended closely held corporation and its owners against claims brought by a former employee alleging breach of employment contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and defamation.
- Regularly counsel and defend employers on issues of employee non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, wage and hour compliance, employee classification, discrimination and wrongful termination.
- Successfully recovered overtime pay on behalf of a group of workers in a Federal Court collective/class action.
- Member of trial team representing the family of a worker killed on the job, resulting in a $4.5m settlement during trial.
- Member of trial team representing the family of a worker killed on the job, resulting in a pre-trial settlement ranked by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly among the top 10 highest settlements in 2005.
- Defended subcontractors in numerous catastrophic injury construction accident claims.
- Managed litigation and tried cases for a range of major corporations including a major retailer, major hotel chain and a number of major manufactures in general and product liability claims.
- Successfully represented sports agent in fee dispute with professional athlete.
- Represent Olympic and professional athletes in various business dealings, including the negotiation and drafting of endorsement, appearance and public speaking agreements.
- Taking Depositions Workshop, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Co-Chair, 2007 – present.
- Advanced Deposition Workshop, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Faculty Member, 2007 – present.
- When in Doubt Sit Them Out: Civil Liability for Head Injuries in Scholastic Sports, Concussion and Sports Injury Prevention Workshop, Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association, Franklin, MA, April 4, 2011.
- Depositions 101: Deposing the Treating Physician, National Webinar presented by the IADC Trial Tactics & Techniques Committee, January 27, 2010.
- 21st Century Motion Practice: Addressing E-Discovery Issues, Massachusetts Bar Association, Panellist, September 2009.
- Massachusetts Employment Law Update, Harmonie Group Spring Conference, New Orleans, LA, April 2009.
- Morals Clauses in Sports Contracts, National Sports and Entertainment Law Symposium, University of Virginia Law School, Virginia CLE, March 7, 2008.
- Greater Boston with Emily Rooney, WGBH Television Broadcast, May 22, 2007.
- Eligibility Issues Facing Olympic and Individual Sport Athletes, Case Western Law School Center for Law, Technology and the Arts Symposium: Sports and Eligibility: Who is Eligible to Play, Cleveland, OH, November 11, 2005. WATCH beginning at 50:00
- Be A Parent, Not A Pal, pro bono educational presentation on Massachusetts social host (alcohol) liability statute for parents, educators, students, coaches and members of the community, 2005-2009.
- Co-Author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Massachusetts Deposition Practice Manual, Chapter 11 Audovisual Depositions (4th Edition 2016)
- Contributor, DRI In House Quarterly Fall 2017, Massachusetts Strengthens Pay Equity Law and Passes Pregnant Workers Fairness Act. Read: 2017 In-House Def Qtrly
- Case Report: Croker v. Townsend Oil Company, Inc., Massachusetts Lawyer’s Journal June 2013. Read: 2013-06-13 MBA Lawyers Journal
- Contributor, DRI Employment Law Compendium, State-by-State Survey, 2011, Massachusetts, Maine.
- Contributor, DRI Employment Legislation State-by-State Survey, 2012 – present.
- Diaz v. Jiten: New Twist on Chapter 151B Attorney Fee Awards, Massachusetts Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section Newsletter, January 2012. Read: 2012-01-24 Diaz v. Jiten MBA Article
- Massachusetts’ Independent Contractor Law: A Trap for Employers, IADC Employment Law Newsletter, January 2011. Read: IADC Independent Ktor Jan. 2011
- Punitive Damage Awards in Employment Discrimination Cases, IADC Employment Law Newsletter, December 2009. Read: IADC Employment 12.09 Haddad Pun Dmgs
- Traps of the Massachusetts Tips Statute, IADC Aviation Law Newsletter, October 2008. Read: IADC-AviationSpace1-Oct08 Tips
- How to Obtain Discovery from Governmental Agencies, IADC Aviation Law Newsletter, October 2007. Read: IADC Aviation10.07 Discovery fr Govt Agency
- Employment Rights of Undocumented Workers, IADC Employment Law Newsletter, November 2006. Read: IADC-Employment 11-06 Undocumented
- Gendreau v. Hyannis Air: Defending the Fear of Flying Case, IADC Aviation Law Newsletter March 2000. Read: IADC Aviation 3.06Gendreau
- Advice for the Next Jeremy Bloom: An Elite Athlete’s Guide to NCAA Amateurism Regulations, 56 Case W. Res. L. Rev. 687, Spring, 2006, reprinted in Business of Sports (2010). Read: adviceforthenextjeremybloom
- Sports Law Blog, contributor