Kevin B. Callanan
Kevin B. Callanan has practiced employment and labor law and related litigation since 1968. He represents large and small employers and individuals in various workplace disputes, including employment discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful termination, wage and hour claims, employment contracts, termination agreements, non-competition agreements, union organizing campaigns, collective bargaining negotiations and arbitrations. He appears frequently before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD), the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) as well as state and federal courts.
Mr. Callanan was associated with the Boston law firm Morgan, Brown, Kearns & Joy (1968-1971); was Vice President of Labor Relations for Howard Johnson Company (1971-1986); and operated the Law Office of Kevin B. Callanan from 1986 to 2011.
From 1962 to 1964, he served as a Lieutenant on the destroyer USS BARRY (DD-933).
- Obtained a defense verdict for corporate employer and its president against claims of sexual harassment and retaliation by a former employee.
- Successfully defended employers and executives in jury trials involving claims of discrimination based of sex, race, disability and national origin.
- Lead counsel in the defense and settlement of a nationwide class action by the U.S. Department of Labor against a national restaurant and hotel company alleging non-payment of overtime to assistant managers and trainees.
- Represented a national restaurant and hotel company in more than 25 union elections conducted by the NLRB resulting in favorable outcomes for the employer.
- Prevailed in a non-jury trial on behalf of 12 former employees claiming violations of the WARN Act by a corporate employer that closed a plant without notice and filed for bankruptcy protection.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction in state court against a discharged employee for violating his agreement not to compete with his former employer for 12 months after termination.
- MBTA v. Labor Relations Commission, 356 Mass. 563 (1970)
- Howard Johnson Co. v. Detroit Local Joint Executive Board, 417 U.S. 249 (1974)
- Howard Johnson Co. v. NLRB, 618 F.2d 1 (6th Cir. 1980)
- Bray v. Marriott Corporation, 63 FEP Cases 1450 (D.C. Mass. 1991)
- Pallota v. Marriott Corporation, 61 FEP Cases 923 (D.C. Mass. 1993)
- Darian v. Univ. of Massachusetts, 8 AD Cases 587 (D.C. Mass. 1997)
- In re: Organogenisis, Inc., 316 B.R. 574 (Bankr. D. Mass. 2004)
- Shukhman v. Northeast Lens Corp., 19 Mass. L. Rptr. 157 (2005)
- Zona Corporation v. Daniel McKinnon, 28 Mass. L. Rptr. No. 11, 233 (2011)